Make an interactive birthday card with the free Penguin Playmates Sale-a-bration item
Isn’t this penguin and polar bear card just the cutest? I used the Penguin Playmates Designer Series Paper (DSP) which is perfect for Winter birthday cards. It is another one of the free Sale-a-bration items Stampin’ Up! is offering until September 30. I also added an Action Wobbler to make it interactive. I’m sort of on a Wobbler kick right now and can’t stop adding them to cards that have cute characters on them. Take a look at the 4-second video showing the penguin wobbling.
Penguin Playmates DSP pack
Before I explain how I made the card, I want to show you all the designs that come with this paper pack. There are numerous penguins, polar bears, foxes, and snowmen to either fussy cut or use as-is. I like the patterns on the opposite sides of the paper a lot. They are bright, colourful, and can be used for more than just winter-themed cards.
The colours that coordinate with the paper are Balmy Blue, Calypso Coral, Fresh Freesia, Just Jade, Misty Moonlight, Soft Sea Foam, and Basic Black. This DSP pack also coordinates with the Penguin Place Bundle (156789) on page 33 from the July–December 2021 Mini Catalog.
PENGUIN PLAYMATES 12″ X 12″ (30.5 X 30.5 CM) DESIGNER SERIES PAPER
Supplies, measurements and directions to make the card
- Sweet Ice Cream photopolymer set (158224)
- Penguin Playmates 12″ x 12″ (30.5 x 30.5 cm) Designer Series Paper (158420)
- Gray Granite cardstock (146983)
- Basic White cardstock (159231)
- Gray Granite classic stampin’ pad (147118)
- Tailor Made Tags Dies (155563)
- Subtle Shimmer Sequins (156407)
- White twine from Baker’s Twine Essentials pack (155475)
- Action Wobbler
- Gray Granite (base): 8-1⁄2” x 5-1⁄2”, score at 4-1⁄4”
- Designer Series Paper – 2 strips of snowflake pattern: 1⁄2” x 5-1/2”
- Designer Series Paper – trees pattern: 3” x 5-1/2”
- Gray Granite – bottom tag: 2” x 4”
- Basic White – top tag: 2” x 4”
- Basic White – scrap piece for stamped sentiment
- Basic White – for inside card: 3-1/2″ x 5-1/2″
- Stamp the greeting using Gray Granite ink on Basic White scrap cardstock. Cut the words apart using your scissors.
- Die cut the largest sized tag from the Tailor Made Tags Die using the 2” x 4” Gray Granite cardstock.
- Die cut the largest sized tag from the Tailor Made Tags Die using the 2” x 4” Basic White cardstock.
- Fussy cut the polar bear and penguin characters from the Designer Series Paper.
- Center the tree patterned DSP in the center of the front panel and adhere only down the middle.
- Tuck and adhere one strip of the snowflake patterned DSP under the tree patterned DSP leaving about 1/4″ showing. Do the same to the other side of the tree patterned DSP.
- Adhere the edges of the tree patterned DSP down now that the snowflake patterned DSP has adhered.
- Loop and secure the white twine through both the Gray Granite and Basic White die cut tags at the same time.
- Offset them a bit and adhere them down in the centre of the card front.
- Using Mini Dimensionals, adhere the Happy Birthday sentiment as shown on the card.
- Using Dimensionals, adhere the polar bear down as shown on the card.
- Attach an Action Wobbler to the backside of the penguin.
- Adhere down the penguin as shown.
- Scatter a few Subtle Shimmer Sequins (I used 5) and adhere them down with a dot of liquid glue.
This tutorial is copyright by Creative Blend and may not be sold or distributed for monetary gain. Thanks!
More ideas using the Penguin Playmates DSP
Another idea I had while working on this card was to make a tag set with the DSP and use the Action Wobblers on the character that would appeal the most to your recipient. You could make a tiny box with the DSP that would fit the set of tags and give it as a gift to someone.
The Action Wobbler is the “wow” factor for this card. An interactive card using them can’t get any easier to make and you’ll find it hard to stop activating the wobbler yourself 🙂
I hope you give this tutorial a try and I would love it if you tagged me (@creativeblendwithdawn) in a social media post if you make it.
If you are interested in getting your hands on the Penguin Playmates DSP, you can get it free with a $60 order from my online store or you can simply contact me to make an order. If you want to learn more about the Sale-A-Bration items or how this promotion works, visit my What is Sale-A-Bration and how do I get free items post.
Until the next one, Dawn
Creative Blend Newsletter
Stay inspired and subscribe to receive updates from the blog, upcoming card classes, events and crafty sales straight to your email.
Find me on social media
Stay connected with me online and see even more creative inspiration I’m sharing!